Diana Wortham Theatre Rental
The 500-seat Diana Wortham Theatre is available for rent by organizations and individuals for the presentation of performances, lectures, and meetings.
Priority in scheduling is given to:
- Local arts groups who use the theatre on an annual basis
- The theatre's own Mainstage Series
- New/casual users
There are three basic costs incurred in using the Diana Wortham Theatre: Rent, Labor, and Box Office Fees (for ticketed events).
- Non-Profit Rate - $850.00 for first performance/event in a day
- For-Profit Rate - $1,200.00 for first performance/event in a day
- Non-Profit Rate - $600.00 for the second performance in same day
- For-Profit Rate - $750.00 for the second performance in same day
- Non-Profit Rate - $550.00
- For-Profit Rate - $800.00
$2,250.00 for all-day conferences, and/or a 12 hour period, $200/hr. thereafter
Hamburg Steinway, Model B
$150.00 per event plus cost of tuning
Please note: Tuning of piano will be performed by DWT's Piano Tech only.
Labor Rates (see labor policies below)
- Technical Director: $30/hr for first 8 hours in a day, $45/hr thereafter (Four hour TD prep time charged to all rental events)
- Technical Staff: $20/hr for first 8 hours in a day, $30/hr thereafter
- Sound Engineer: $250
- Follow Spot & Operator: $22/hr of use
- Minimum Call is 4 hours
Front of House
- House Manager: $16.50/hr
- Event Manager: $16.50/hr
- Ushers: $12/hr, or minimum of 8 volunteer ushers provided by renter
- Minimum Call is 4 hours
Box Office Rates
- Set up fee: $100 per ticketed performance or event (Renter pays)
- $0.65 per ticket sold for box office services, plus $1.00 Facility Fee (see below) (Renter Pays)
- $0.15 per complimentary ticket issued (Renter Pays)
- For requests to be filled, a minimum of 48 hours must be given for Complimentary tickets
- Credit Card Fees 3.8% for all sales to MasterCard, Visa, and American Express; These fees are the renter's responsibility.
- Flat processing fee of $4.50 and $3.00 building operations fee per ticket charged to customer for phone orders. Tickets can be mailed to the patron for a $1 additional fee. (Customer Pays)
- Per ticket and building operations fees are charged to customer for all on-line ticket sales.
- The capacity for on-line ticket sales through the theatre's website available at no additional charge to renter.
To support the maintenance and repairs to the theatre, a $1.00/ticket surcharge is assessed and collected on all tickets sold, through the box office with a price of $15.00 or greater. A $.50/ticket surcharge is assessed and collected for tickets with a price of $10.00 to $14.99. This surcharge is placed in a restricted fund for maintenance and repairs and does not support the operation budget of the theatre. Renters should take this into account when setting ticket prices, which should include this surcharge. For non-ticketed events the facility fee is $250.00.
Before contacting the Diana Wortham Theatre, please read all policies below with respect to Labor and Box Office practices and policies. Also recognize that the theatre is busy year-round and weekend dates are hard to come by. Please have as many possible dates in mind prior to contacting the theatre. A rental deposit is required in order to secure the date.
The preferred method of contacting the theatre for possible rentals is via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email please provide the following information.
- Your name/organization
- Nature of event, i.e. performance, lecture, meeting, etc.
- Preferred date(s)
- Number of days needed in the theatre prior to the performance, i.e for tech and rehearsals.
- Any special needs, i.e. special lighting, sound, piano etc.
- Contact information: please provide a name and phone number and best time to reach you.
The theatre's Technical Director, or representative, must be present at all times the theatre is in use by the renter, including the delivery of material. The TD's billable hours begin each day one half hour before the theatre is opened for the renter and end one half hour after the last person has left the event and the theatre is empty and secured. The renter is also responsible for the TD's time required to prepare the theatre for the renter's event.
The Diana Wortham Theatre is a non-union house, but does utilize its own skilled Technical Crew, the cost of which is paid by the renter at the applicable rates. The number of technicians required varies by the event being presented. The theatre typically runs with a three to four person technical crew. The Technical Director, in consultation with the renter or based on the event's Technical Rider, will determine the size of the Crew required. The renter may be able to provide volunteers or its own crew for jobs which do not involve operating the theatre's equipment, at the sole discretion of the Technical Director.
Technical Crew Meal Breaks – DWT staff may not work more than five hours without a meal break. A meal break is either a one hour unpaid or a half hour paid. If a meal break is not provided, the renter will be charged an additional hour of overtime labor for each staff person denied a meal break.
For example, if you need 7 hours in the theatre, do not make a schedule based on the assumption that you can work straight through from 3pm to 10pm. Rather, set the schedule to begin at 2pm, break for dinner from 6-7pm, and then work from 7-10pm.
Minimum Call – a minimum call is four hours. If a break is given of more than 3 hours, the time worked before and after the break is considered two separate calls and each is a minimum of four hours. For example, if you set your schedule so that crew is in the theatre from 10am to 12noon, and then not called back until 4pm, the first work session would be billed at a minimum of four hours. It is not fair to the crew worker to give up an entire day, for just a couple hours of work in the morning.
Nighttime differential – any hours worked after 12 midnight and before 7am shall be billed at the over-time rate.
Short turnaround – for reasons of safety, no Technical crew member should be expected to have less than 10 hours off between the end of one day and the beginning of the next, i.e. if a call ends at 12 midnight one night, that crew member should not be expected to return to work earlier than 10am the next day. If there is less than a ten hour turnaround, overtime charges will incur.
12 Hour Notice of Technical Crew call change – there should be a minimum 12 hours of notice of any change to the next day’s call schedule. Without this notice, crew may not be available.
Breaks – a 15 minute break will be given at least every three hours between meal breaks.
One to Two House Managers are required for all public events. Hours begin two hours prior to the start of the event and conclude one half hour after the event has ended. An Event Manager is required anytime the theatre is open to the public. Hours begin two hours prior to the start of the event and conclude one to two hours after the event has ended.
Ushers can be provided by the renter in order to reduce expenses. Ushers must be a minimum of 18 years of age and must arrive at the theatre one hour prior to the event to receive safety instructions from the House Manager, must remain for the entire event and sit in specified seats. It is recommended that ushers dress as uniformly as possible for easy identification - white tops and black bottoms are suggested.
Box Office Policies
Renters are required to use the Wortham Center box office for all ticketing. No events will be permitted to self-ticket or use outside ticketing services. The theatre does not allow Groupon or any other discount ticketing services. Ticketing will not be processed until contract and deposit are received. Tickets are available by phone or walkup box office located at 18 Biltmore Ave. Tickets are also available for purchase online through website at worthamarts. org. The Wortham Center Box Office (828) 257-4530 is located in the main lobby of the orchestra level and hours are as follows: Closed Mondays; open Tuesday through Friday from 10:00am to 4:00pm; closed Saturdays unless there is a performance; Box Office will open at 12:00pm and stay open until 30 minutes after curtain; closed Sundays unless there is a performance; Box Office will open at 1:00pm and stay open until 30 minutes after curtain. The box office can handle walk-ins, phone orders and mail orders. Cash, checks, MasterCard, Visa and American Express are accepted. On-line sales of tickets are available on a 24/7 basis as part of the basic service.
While we are not able to market your event for you, the Wortham Center provides several tools to assist you with your promotional efforts.
Marketing Opportunities Provided:
- All events are listed on our website free of charge.
- Marketing Package: Includes a designed web page upgrade and a marquee posting on our electronic marquee located on our street front at a fee of $125. Individual pricing is $75 each.
- We include upcoming rental events in all of our e-news blasts which goes out to approximately 18,000 people.
- Provide list of Web Calendars upon request
- Media Contact List upon request
- At this time, we are unable to promote your event on our social media channels, but you are welcome to create a Facebook event and invite us to co-host it so that it is added to our Facebook events calendar. Please also feel free to tag us in any social media post: @worthamarts
- A new marketing opportunity for renters is our digital community board in a high-traffic area of our lobby. Placement on this board is $50 dollars, and we would utilize the same raw creatives sent for the web upgrade/marquee.
- We cannot send individual or dedicated e-news blasts or mailings.
- We cannot share Wortham Center customer lists.
Fees for Rent, Labor and Box Office services are deducted from the renter's ticket sales proceeds as the method of payment. Renters receive an itemized statement of these charges plus a detailed report on all sales through the box office and may also request a list of the names and addresses of customers who purchased tickets in advance for the renter's event.
National Public Radio - NPR had an excellent experience with the Diane Wortham Theater. We tour the country working with venues and feel DWT is one of the best. We are a group that makes a very high level impact and with that comes some high level planning concerns. You made our experience a very successful one. You have a great team!
Miss Gay Latina Asheville - I just wanted to take this time to thank Diana Wortham Theatre, the box office staff and yourself for making MGLA a vibrant part of the diverse art experience that takes place at DWT. MGLA brings together a group of people every year that look forward to the competition and the familial feeling of togetherness. DWT has made the family of MGLA feel welcome and celebrated, all while honoring the art of female impersonation. My best regards to all of you and DWT for the upcoming holidays and I am looking forward to another year of celebration.
Asheville Gay Men’s Chorus - On behalf of the Asheville Gay Men's Chorus and the Board of Directors thank you for an excellent experience at the DW Theatre. We are so grateful for all the assistance and support. A record breaking concert for us!
Laugh Your Asheville Off Comedy Festival - Thank you so much! You and the DWT staff are the absolute best to work with. I look forward to working with you every year.
Asheville Chamber Music Series - A big thank you for helping to make the ACMS concert and reception the success that it was. Every one of your staff was so positive and helpful. It was a grand evening!!!
Planned Parenthood – It was such a fabulous event at the Diana Wortham Theatre. We were thrilled with how everything turned out and our donors thoroughly enjoyed the program in your beautiful theatre. It was also a joy working with such a professional and friendly team who not only made my life easier, but helped execute a flawless event. Thank you for everything and I hope we have the opportunity to work together next year.
Make Noise - I just wanted to send along a quick note to say thank you again for all of your hard work in making last night’s event such a success! We were thrilled to be able to present our artists in a venue as wonderful as yours, and could not have pulled it off without your help. Thanks again!
Asheville Percussion Festival - We had a fantastic time at the theater on Saturday night. I think it was one of the smoothest events we have done there yet. We were prepared. Thanks so much for all you do!